Sunday, 21 July 2019

Sunday's Whirligig # 223

dizzy blame games

everything a blur

humiliation

sing for your supper and smokes

wait at the back

fear has bleached all colour from life

poems lie in the dust

 

bleach blur wait humiliation everything games 

dizzy blame smokes poems sing fear

 

THIS WEEK'S WORDS come from "Lowering Your Standards for Food Stamps" by Sheryl Luna:


Lowering Your Standards for Food Stamps

By Sheryl Luna

 
Words fall out of my coat pocket,
soak in bleach water. I touch everyone’s
dirty dollars. Maslow’s got everything on me.
Fourteen hours on my feet. No breaks.
No smokes or lunch. Blank-eyed movements:
trash bags, coffee burner, fingers numb.
I am hourly protestations and false smiles.
The clock clicks its slow slowing.
Faces blur in a stream of  hurried soccer games,
sunlight, and church certainty. I have no
poem to carry, no material illusions.
Cola spilled on hands, so sticky fingered,
I’m far from poems. I’d write of politicians,
refineries, and a border’s barbed wire,
but I am unlearning America’s languages
with a mop. In a summer-hot red
polyester top, I sell lotto tickets. Cars wait for gas
billowing black. Killing time has new meaning.
A jackhammer breaks apart a life. The slow globe
spirals, and at night black space has me dizzy.
Visionaries off their meds and wacked out
meth heads sing to me. A panicky fear of robbery
and humiliation drips with my sweat.
Words some say are weeping twilight and sunrise.
I am drawn to dramas, the couple arguing, the man
headbutting his wife in the parking lot.
911: no metered aubade, and nobody but
myself to blame.


5 comments:

  1. Great use of the prompt words very effective

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fear bleaching all colour from life is such a sad phenomenon. An effective use of all the words in this verse! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite raw and potent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Cressida, you used them well. I like the readiness for 'smokes'. In the Army it was "smoke if you've got them." Old days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you created quite a poem from the prompt. Powerful writing

    ReplyDelete