dverse
it was
always about music
thus
the struggle
the poverty
the machinations
to succeed
the policeman
determined
to make his own dreams
come true
did so vicariously
though his brilliant son
the immense power of one
who refused defeat
created a technical giant
the mother being sacrificed
to the music god hang xiangzi
who determines
if the sacrifice was worth it ?
hang xiangzi thought so
apollo apparently not
and withheld his golden blessing
horses for courses
I so understand this--especially the first stanza--it was always about the music for me as well
ReplyDeleteSuch a talented father and son, thanks for the link ~
ReplyDeleteWas it worth it ~ The family thinks so it's worth it in the end ~ The Gods though tell a different story ~
Maybe.
Deletegreatness always comes at a cost - sometimes others pay it.
ReplyDeleteOften when I leave your blog, I feel I have more insight than when I arrived.
thanks
Thank you. My poetry is written for readers like you.
DeleteThey make wonderfully brilliant music together. I couldn't stop my toes from tapping! Their story told through your words is both fantastic and bittersweet.
ReplyDeleteHi Toe Tapper ! I think there is another Poem A Day coming up in November. Just making an early booking :)
DeleteFor us as listeners it's always worth the effort and struggles.. But I wonder how many who has made similar sacrifices without making it
ReplyDeleteI know of one.He became CEO of a leading global enterprise.With a background of this discipline and emphasis on accuracy almost everything else is achievable.
Deleteto have a gift, one has to sacrifice to get the key... We usually give up before we even see if it all was worth it...
ReplyDeleteDepressingly true !
DeleteGood question: was the sacrifice worth it? But what is the alternative? I think of the football stars in Brazil - a way out of the favelas, the athletes and ballet dancers in the Soviet Union - a way to ensure enough food for their families... so many hard choices being made if you have talent. But what about those who don't have quite enough talent to escape?
ReplyDeleteWell that is the majority so I suppose they opt for a change to democracy...see Hong Kong at the moment !
ReplyDeletei love the piano of Lang Lang.. the magick DAO flute of Han Xiangzi.. and the magicK poetry.. dance.. and song.. of God Apollo..
ReplyDeletebut nah.. horses for courses.. not the plagues Apollo.. in mythological metaphor.. sets forth... in coffins buried.. as such....
But truly the thing i love most about dance and song.. that innately is also martial arts.. and poetry too.. @least for me..
Is i carry it everywhere i go..
and need not even clothes..as tools..
to share it with all others too..
The computer provides a tool.. to share wide and far..
but wherever i go.. dance is the non-verbal connection...
and poetry in voice of song.. is truly the heart connection i seek and find..
one on one.. in REAL LIFE.. true!..:)
Keep the gear on...the world is not ready for naked dancing in the street:)
DeleteBeautiful music. The sacrifice is worth it in that sense. The loses are always difficult. Thank you for posting this.
ReplyDeleteI am so pleased you liked the music Myrna. !
DeleteI read the poem...then I read the poem again and read the comments...then I watched the video and gained a deeper appreciation of the poem, the meaning behind your words and the love of music between a father and son. yes, it is safe to say that they have overcome! Wow!
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to do this and respond.
Delete