Saturday, 26 April 2014

Curtal Sonnet ...You Choose

Baryshnikov as a teenager Baryshnikov as an adult they all perform magnificently
jetes and pirouettes across the stage
the audience transfixed and delighted
these wunderkind dancing our dreams
how do we choose numero uno 
when confronted with such splendour

i chose immediately jumping out of my seat
it was easy as it might be for you too
cultural preferences playing its own pas de deux
rarely unbiased even if unconscious
you choose

18 comments:

  1. yes - i think we all have our preferences and the things we're immediately attracted to..

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all the greatness of the well known dancers it was a fantastic offering. Nicely Cressida!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Westerners complaining about how boring Japanese No theatre is, or how painful on the ears Chinese opera can be. It's all a matter of what we are accustomed to, what we have grown up with. I rather like Acosta, myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to choose as each one is brilliantly done ~ I would cheer for all, smiles ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. You choose indeed... Lovely work Cressida and a treat for my Sunday... With Best Wishes scott www.scotthastie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the dances... the cultural preferences might bias, but one need time to indulge to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there's beauty in anyone who sacrifices through the effort to achieve greatness. It's a rate commodity that always stands out. Isn't it funny we feel we must choose. To me, the greatness of one does not diminish another. I think the 3rd was the most powerful. Which did you choose ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two have chosen Acosta so far...I will wait until we have a few more choices and then I will say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dancing, and a beautiful write-up. Culturally speaking, it doesn't look like I have a dog in the fight here, but I choose dancer #2 for damn-near leaping out of the theater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry I don't want you trying this at home. You need a lot of practice and preparation before attempting those leaps:)

      Delete
  10. I chose Baryshnikov as well. Slightly biased as well as I think he is totally scrumptious:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are breathtaking performances. It's hard to choose one. I like Maos Last Dancer because he seems to fly and levitate and do things on slow motion. Because of that, he appears like a butterfly landing from a flower to the ground. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was torn between him Cao Chi and Baryshnikov. Recommend both the book and the movie." Mao's Last Dancer" In real life the protagonist gave up dancing to become a stockbroker to support his family. It makes me weep to think we live in a society that pays millions of dollars to movie celebrities and sports men and does not value our artistic geniuses who civilise this planet that we live on.

      Delete
  12. I confess I was biased from the start, though all were good. It was fun to compare Baryshnikovs, however. Such a difference between the ingenue (so to speak) and the mature artist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! This is the second curtail sonnet that I've read. I never heard of the form before and need to try my hand at it. I really can't choose a dance. I'm mesmerized by each.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My opinion, there will never be the equal of the young Baryshnikov...and yes he scores quite high on the scrumptious scale.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tend to agree with Claudia...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. hard to choose, but my choice is MB on the stage, alone. ~

    ReplyDelete