Day 1
no matter
how many times she tried
she could never resist him
her only hope of escape
from drowning in his sea
was to make him hate her
how very madame lafayette
french literature has its uses
Day 2...Maundy Thursday
she looks up
no stars tonight
the moon is blurred
tis the gethsemane hour
of dangerous clouds
jesus dies tomorrow
at 3pm
easter again
forecast rain
Day 3
/>
a money machine
it's what everybody wants
stuff that grows on trees

sleeping peacefully
dreaming
probably not
of a white Christmas
but
a money tree
even
a few pickings
from the rich man's table
Day 4
Departure
up with the sparrows today
i listen
to the soft bird chorus outside
a dog barks in the distance
the house is quiet
except for the humming fridge

i make tea
in the sweet blue kitchen
and then I remember
the birds suddenly silent
my heart turns over
you have gone
Day 5
Wild Nights... not quite Emily Dickinson
Wild nights
Wild nights
Were I with thee
Onion tartine
would be our luxury
Done with the courgette canapes
Done with the calorie chart
Rowing in Eden
Ah the taste of the sea
salted and slippery
Might I but moor tonight in Thee
Day 6
Monday
there was such beauty
in the low slung cloud
yesterday
a pink and orange tinged
Sunday
today
a dark veil blacks out
my sky
pouring rain and storm
on to the clouds in my coffee
no one ever says
thank God it's Monday
do they?

I loved all of these, especially the melancholy vibe of the 1st two poems. Blurred moon, dangerous clouds, drowning in his seas... lovely, quietly ominous visuals.
ReplyDeleteEven though I have read the month in reverse order, your kick off post was a wonderful way to start poetry month!
ReplyDelete