Tuesday, 7 April 2026

NAPOWRIMO APRIL 2026... DAY 7.8 9,10


DAY 7

CENTO

CHARLES and WILL CHILL

I see you drinking at a fountain with tiny
blue hands, no your hands are not tiny
they are small
the fountain is in France
All the perfume of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand
where you wrote me that last letter and
I loved you

like a man loves a woman he never touches
only writes to, keeps little photographs of
Do you think I am easier to played on than a pipe?
Some, Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps
Next time, take my left arm or a fifty
but not my poems
I'm no Shakespeare
My words fly up my thoughts remain below
pretty soon everyone was yawning
but as God said, crossing his legs
I see where I have made plenty of poets
but not so very much poetry


SOURCES


SHAKESPEARE


Macbeth
Hamlet
Much Ado About Nothing

BUKOWSKI

Paris
To the whore who took my poems
I am  visited by an editor and a poet

DAY 8

must be more vigilant
maybe paranoid
curly locks  curly locks
wilt thou be mine
thou shalt not wash dishes
nor yet feed the swine
discrinatory
being paranoid perhaps

hey diddle diddle
the cat and the fiddle
the cow jumped 
over the moon
animal abuse

mirror mirror
on the wall
who is the fairest 
of us all
encouraging narcissism
paranoid?
maybe
maybe not

THE OWL AND THE PUSSY CAT

Edward Lear's classic children's poem
is now deemed to be offensive
because of the word pussy 

Welcome to our weird world

DAY 9




i've been around
since the beginning
most of the others
have gone 
can't believe
i'm still standing

can't say 
much good came
from their arrival
all armed
wearing smart uniforms
clicking heels
hoisting flags

little kids
used to play house
with their toys
in my roots
no longer 
all on phones now
the elves and fairies
have gone

who knows 
when i'm destined
for the chop
progress?


DAY 10


CINQUAIN

her grief
is palpable
she had to let him go
for his sake and for hers twas
so tragic

sadly
she will never
recover from this pain
the light has gone from her world for
ever

3 comments:

  1. Cressida, this was such an interesting pairing to work from. Bukowski and Shakespeare are hardly mild company, and I really enjoyed the tension that comes from bringing them into the same room. The cento form suits that collision so well! It lets echoes and contrasts do the talking. Also, it’s lovely visiting another Blogspotter’s blog! Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last line hits, hurts, pushes me to introspect.
    And this line is golden because of how true it rings--''My words fly up my thoughts remain below"

    Fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete