Sundays Whirligig # 181
THIS WEEK"S WORDS come from "Nature Knows Its Math " by Joan Graham:
divide subtract multiply add snow green breeze beneath sky orange poppies then
divide ten oranges each into four pieces
then
subtract all the pips
add ten bunches of poppies
multiplied by infinite smiles
laid out on the snow
with a light breeze
beneath a cerulean blue sky
paint me happy
yes i thought you would be green
Normally green would mean with envy, but presumably not so in this case.
ReplyDeleteI don't think kids are happy to be in the rain these days as we were.
I picture the bright green of a plant popping up through the earth in the spring.
ReplyDelete"paint me happy" made me happy too. Such a lovely portrait of the joy derived from small things.
ReplyDelete-HA
Love this!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun poem. I watched the two kids down the street splashing in the rain, running about and getting wet and having fun. I almost joined them.
ReplyDeleteI like how you've taken these colours and played with both positive and negative associations/effects and used them, in simple fashion, to great effect. And I really love how you've chosen to end with "green" being a positive aspect here, of springing to hope ...
ReplyDeleteand I have to add, this poem, for me, is just absolutely word perfect - I love the precise framing of each word and adore the last line.