Find a poem in a language you don’t know . Ignore any accompanying English translation . Now start translating the poem into English, with the idea that the poem is actually “about” your photograph. Use the look and feel of the words in the original to guide you along as you write, while trying to describe your photograph. It will be a bit of a balancing act, but hopefully it will lead to new and beautiful (and possibly very weird) places.
Robert Doisneau....Un Regard Oblique
Napowrimo 2018
Day 5
Westfalenlied by Emil Rittershaus
ihr mogt den Rhein, den stolzen, preisen,
Der in dem Schoß der Reben liegt;
Wo in den berger ruht das Eisen
taking the mrs for a sunday stroll
along the boulevard
voila my favourite painting
Wow better than a cheese burger
along the boulevard
voila my favourite painting
Wow better than a cheese burger
Da hat die Mutter mich gewiegt.
Hoch auf dem Fels die Tannen steh’n,
Im grünen Tal die Herden geh’n,
Als Wächter an des Hofes Saum
Reckt sich empor der Eichenbaum
i bought the old girl a new hat
i remember when
she looked like that ripe peach
Alas I could never get her
to wear the black stockings( far too catholic)
retch.. sick emperor that's what she said to me
i bought the old girl a new hat
i remember when
she looked like that ripe peach
Alas I could never get her
to wear the black stockings( far too catholic)
retch.. sick emperor that's what she said to me
da ist’s, wo meine Wiege stand,
O, grüß’ dich Gott, Westfalenland
this is what happens when you don't take a stand
O you grub said God i'm sending you out west
-
O you grub said God i'm sending you out west
Well grubs are drawn to over-ripe fruit, so there's that.
ReplyDeleteI laughed so much as I read your addled translation I had to wait a few minutes before commenting. Thank you so much, this made my Sunday!
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased I've made an old man very happy:)
ReplyDeleteBravo!!💜
ReplyDeleteGiggles all the way...
ReplyDeleteMuch love...
This is rather hilarious. What a fun prompt!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! I love what she says. I hope she kept the hat and thought it "better than a cheeseburger"!
ReplyDeleteGave me a well-needed chuckle this morning!
ReplyDeleteOh this was very creative and such fun!
ReplyDeleteDonna@LivingFromHappiness
This was so funny!
ReplyDeleteLoved your translations...humorous :D
ReplyDeleteA fun prompt.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant, it brought a smile to my face and a laugh to my mouth. A brilliant interpretation!
ReplyDeleteAnna :o]
I love this. It seems to have challenged your imagination to produce something entertaining. Nice exercise.
ReplyDeleteI DO love this translation. And it fit the photo so well....
ReplyDeleteHahaha... Thanks.
ReplyDeleteZQ
Loved this! Can't stop grinning.
ReplyDeleteHa ha ha, you did brilliantly!
ReplyDeleteLove this so much, and like Old Egg it made me laugh, out loud too.
ReplyDelete