Tuesday, 24 April 2018

NAPOWRIMO 20018


Day 24

Rondolet








everyone i've loved has gone
the world is alien to me
it often leaves me quite forlorn
to know we are no longer free
the waves roll in the tide goes out
my time is coming to an end


it often leaves me quite forlorn
to know we are no longer free
there is no free speech any more
the thought police abound with glee
the waves roll in the tide goes out
my time is coming to an end

there is no free speech anymore
the thought police abound with glee
progressive marxists to the fore
the mantra of the me me me
the waves roll in the tide goes out
my time is coming to an end

progressive marxists to the fore
the mantra of the me me me
let's watch the sun rise on shore
catch the breeze with breakfast tea
the waves roll in the tide goes out
my time is coming to an end






Day 25



sunny saturday morning
shopping for new clothes
the car radio fixed with all the flashing red
woopdidoo lights in her convertible
she had  stepped back twenty years 
remembering times 
weighed down with bracelets bling
long unmade bed hair
each strand contrived for effect
jeans stilettos
with that invincible positiveness
of youth
of unsubstantiated confidence
knowing anything amazing can happen  today
and sometimes it did

smiling
recalling
her fanciful idiocy
pressing the tall glass
of ice coffee to her cheek
(no one drinks these anymore)
she glances 
at the impeccably dressed  dark stranger
who is not going to sit at her table
and invite her to Italia tomorrow
why even suburban cyril has taken flight

relieved to be no longer interesting
anonymity and invisibility 
now the great luxuries of  her new found freedom
her searchin' days are over



Day 26








Try to be as concrete and exact as possible with the “feel” of what the poem invites the reader to see, hear, smell, touch and taste.

i feel so tired
busy afternoon
no cooking tonight
antipasto
fresh prawns asparagus
sicilian olives cheeses
avocado mortadella with crusty rolls
and sparkling wine

i usually save this treat for friday nights
it's not the end of the week
but i would like it to be

i feel so tired
i  have just managed to drag myself
to my favourite place on earth
(my bedroom)
light the scented oil burner
and sink into a zillion soft cushions
 to pen this creation

clattering away in the kitchen
the washing up fairy will sort the dishes
and bring me tea later on.

i feel so tired
 the moon....is ....zz
                              zzzz
                               zzzzz



Day 27


























Margaret Bednar's prompt
Childrens' Drawings
 Imaginary Garden with Real Toads

every small child thinks mum
is the most beautiful woman in the world
i was no different marvelling at all the
potions and perfume bottles on her dressing table
her cheeks and lips made luscious pink


a trip through her wardrobe was a visit to wonder world
furs and coats musty with perfume
high heeled shoes quilted slippers
handbags and boxes of letters
love letters from my father during the war

i regret all the later years
of not appreciating her
of not telling her
how beautiful she was
of not telling her
how much i adored her

"how sharper that a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child" ....King Lear ....Shakespeare

20 comments:

  1. I find this form difficult, but you've really done i well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work on the form! The repetition makes for a very evocative write 💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee...you said what I was thinking. How did you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The repetition adds music to your words in quite a charming way. Enjoyed!!!

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful form and you did this so powerfully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’ve done wonders with this form. The repetition brings each thought to a strong focus point. Since “my time is coming to an end” why not “watch the sunrise on shore
    catch the breeze with breakfast tea”

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done, and I like the reflective tone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The form beautifully supports the sense. But what IS the form? I have been racking my brains to remember, and looking up various ones, but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on the form in John Dryden's rondolet..See Robert Brewer's Roundelay Day 24...Poetic Asides

      Delete
  9. I agree with Gillena. The repetition adds power to the message here. Beautiful writing Cressida!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The two poems contrast is what struck me... but the second remembers the youth - and is happy to be free of it as an older woman - I can relate and have to agree - I like the "less attention" as it was often annoying as hell. Nice with both poems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Day 27
    I can relate well to your poem today. I, too, have had more than a few moments of regret for not having paid enough positive attention to my mother. I especially like the line
    "a trip through her wardrobe was a visit to wonder world" as it was for me as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Day 27...I can relate to this. Mum is the most beautiful woman...it's as simple as that. A lovely write :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed your rondelet very much. And the final poem struck a chord. There is much to miss about a mother, once she has passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How often we wish we had said more to mum. Lovely thoughtful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice poem about the wondering if you had done enough to pay attention to your mother. I think we all have moments of doubt after she has gone. The "trip through her wardrobe was a visit to wonder world" is especially poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy April Poems Day 27 Cressida.
    Happy you dropped by my blog today

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  17. With a few evocative images, you capture so well the essence of regret for words unsaid. I relate! Marvelous write!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can relate to this very well, Cressida. The repetition does the poem justice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very poignant - I too can relate as I try and remind myself teenage girls are often "Daddy's girls" and I get them back soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete