i don't want to see you bruised my friend
i don't want to see you murdered my friend
by addicted to violence brutal racist cops
i don't want another person
wasted on the streets or in a car
for the heinous crime of being black
i don't want the life of a black poet
and a good friend of mine to be snuffed out
because of a nations's refusal to ban guns
because of a nation's refusal to
compensate and atone for the crimes
of the kidnapping and enslavement of africans
all the while
still claiming to be of the christian faith
because of a nation's discrimination
against a race who never wanted to be
there in the first place and kept there
by force
apologies
atonement
generous compensation
reparations
and
an immediate end
to persecution
should be forthcoming
for a start
STOP THE KILLINGS
I am sorry more people have not commented on this. I wonder whether Americans realize that much of the rest of the world thinks this way? Don't they have mirrors in the US so that they can see themselves?
ReplyDeleteIt is madness. No-one, black, white, or cop, deserves to be shot. Everyone should expect to come home after going to work, whatever they do, whoever they are. How to stop the gun madness? How to stop the police worrier mentality? Wish I knew.
ReplyDeleteArrgh. Not 'worrier'. I meant 'warrior'.
ReplyDeleteTis OK...a lot of people are worried about police behaviour:)
ReplyDeleteI guess that's what I meant - when the cops have a adversarial outlook, they treat everyone as an adversary, everyone is an enemy and the safety is set to 'off'.
DeleteThank you, my friend. I have neither the strength nor the will to address this topic poetically anymore.
ReplyDeleteI'm relieved that you are here to speak on our behalf.
Take care dear friend...a lot of people around the world are on your side.
DeleteVery sensitive topic tackled very nicely.
ReplyDeletePREACH!
ReplyDeleteI cannot do anything but to agree...
ReplyDeleteMy heart hurts reading this, listening to the radio news and seeing images on social media. I want to turn it all off but your poem reminds me we live in a world where this must be faced, it must be stopped. Thanks for sharing these needed words.
ReplyDeleteAmen "Stop the killings"
ReplyDeletemuch love...
It certainly sounds like a terrible problem! I hope some way is found to fix it.
ReplyDeleteI applaud your willingness to put current events to poetic words - but I disagree with much of what you say other that senseless killing and prejudice must stop.
ReplyDelete...heated times. May we all listen and soak in the experiences of all sides and seek to hear the of others and not seek to have our own voices raised the loudest.
DeleteYour faith demands that you speak out and speak out loudly, in spite of the possibility of negative consequences to yourself in doing so.
ReplyDeletePolitical correctness and fence sitting are against the basic tenets of Catholicism and its two thousand year old history.St Augustine one of our greatest saints always stressed the importance of authenticity.Your approach smacks of Protestantism and the pitfalls of Vatican 2 which sadly seems to have dominated the Church in your country.
Powerful message, and all the senseless killing must end. Color has always been a divider in the United States. Thanks for adding your voice.
ReplyDelete