Monday, 26 May 2014

Silent Witness



they talk of  someone
who spends her life in pyjamas
writing 
everyone says how depressing it is

the waste of time
spent in the warmth of sheets
how scandalous

I of course
think it would be wonderful
but as always keep it to myself

You -  poor love
initially had no idea of
what you had reproduced

your little shadow was
developing her own persona



you were absolutely aghast
about  your friend's daughter
who had a masters degree
eking out an existence
at a weekend market stall
cohabiting with a cellist

such a pernicious waste
of  an expensive education
with nothing to boast about
at the morning coffee meet ups

almost as embarrassing as having vitiligo
or being reduced to one club membership




ping!!!!
the sound of epochal luminous failure
caressed my youthful ears
like a glass plated door splintering 
from an allegorical Messiah tale  

thanks mother
the lights went on
and we went out


Dverse, Words

warmth luminous shadow pernicious persona epochal glass door plated Messiah allegory vitiligo

8 comments:

  1. to each their own you know...
    is the education wasted...maybe by what we see
    but it doesnt mean there is not more substance
    once you dig beyond the obvious

    if they are happy eakking by
    and it is love of the cellist or at least great sex
    who am i to judge

    if i could get away with living on love and music
    i think i might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Echoes of Pope Francis...who am I to judge? LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh that way of having to brag about your children's success - hoe embarrassing if they are just happy... Lovely irony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone must appear to be doing well in business and family life.Success = happiness.. Middle class morality!

      Delete
  3. Market stalls and cohabiting with a cellist sounds like a fun choice to me... as long as you're happy nothing in life is a waste. Very much enjoyed your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you broke this up into 3 poems, each with their story ~ I can relate to the first one, when the shadow becomes his or her own persona ~ And the second, I think education is priceless, whether you want to marry a scientist or an artist ~ A woman I have always believed must earn, if she can or is able to, for her own good & not rely on the man nor her family ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this. It was like overhearing gossip...thus fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's all down to the individual; I'd rather have a job I loved, but living month to month than make tons of $$$ doing something I hate. too many equate joy with how much money is being made

    ReplyDelete