Saturday, 16 July 2022

King and Country

  King George V was a moral coward, for losing his nerve and worrying about the political consequences of granting asylum to the former tsar  Nicholas II and his family … they were failed by their royal relatives



they could be twins

were quite close

he rescinded his offer

of asylum

wonder how it felt

to allow your relatives

to be murdered

 


 maybe  blue blood

and a stiff upper lip

does not allow for 

such indulgences




10 comments:

  1. wow they indeed look very alike I just looked up the Tsar but what I found about him was very positive

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things are justified because of political reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always floored by the degree of inhumanity that has gone on since time immemorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one. Luv the photos.
    Have a good weekend

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew this bit of history. Thanks for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting perspective. I particularly understand the line about blue blood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I the one about the Stiff Upper Lip hardening against any suggestion of indulgence - let alone the actions leading up to it.

    It so happens that I went to visit Ursula's Odds and Sods on YouTube after the Anniversary of the Romanov murders. The author and vodder [video podcaster] has made an anniversary film with an alternative history some of your readers may very well enjoy - AND ALEKSEY LIVED - to give Aleksey a full life.

    Aleksey, of course, would have been the heir of the Romanovs.

    [the anniversary was 17-18 July 1917 - deep into the First World War - and then I think of what went on the next 15 months].

    That alternative history film covers much that went on in the life of the Romanovs. And it is very documentary-like. Thirty-eight minutes - if you stay until the end it is very very worth it.

    If I did know this part of history before it would have been from some books I was reading - fiction and non-fiction - and especially Norman Davies's EUROPE [1997].

    As Bob Dylan might well have asked: "How does it feel, Georgie?" [with a touch of Tim Minchin's COME HOME].

    Adelaide Dupont @ Halfway up Rysy Peak

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew they were related but I didn't know this part. Probably hush-hush-ed. You told it well. I suppose he felt very badly, like when I felt responsible for my first dog's death, at my age eight or so. Mom felt responsible for the death of my grandmother when she brought home the 1918 flu. My sister nor I ever knew of this until after Mom's death, but she lived with this death ever since she was seven.
    ..
    Jim,
    jimmiehov6.blogspot.com
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't know about this part of history, that the tsar, and his family, could be saved. Wonder how the world history, especially Russia's, would have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both had a lot on their consciences...a monarchy is a terrible thing for the monarch.

    ReplyDelete