Wednesday, 11 May 2022

Ivo Pogorelich - Bach - English Suite No. 2 in A minor, BWV 807

Pogorelić won the Casagrande Competition in Terni, Italy in 1978 and the Montreal International Musical Competition in 1980.

 In 1980 he entered the X International Chopin Piano Competition in Warsaw but was eliminated in the third round, prompting juror Martha Argerich to resign from the jury in protest, calling Pogorelić a "genius". This action by Argerich, herself a pianist of international renown, precipitated a major scandal in the world of classical music.

Cinquains

critics

have opinions 

mainly failed performers

genius makes them feel wretched

too bad


thank you ( dear Martha )

for speaking out

martha is a maestro

 not threatened by a great talent

chapeau


Earthweal Open Link Weekend # 119

 


4 comments:

  1. I am glad she stood up for him, and her principles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad she resigned in protest. I love the lines about genius making the critics feel bad. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The true maestro recognises and celebrates the genius of others!

    ReplyDelete