Saturday, 29 August 2020

Whirligig # 281 - Writers Pantry #35

 

 

 

sculpted fingers framed shadows edge bridge feet bones grace religion water
cinders

THIS WEEK'S WORDS come from "I Found Kin in a Thrift Store Photograph" by Aaron Coleman:

 

 

sculpted fingers
joined in prayer
broken statue in a churchyard

 

shadows framed
against water's edge under a bridge
picturesque pleasant land

 

and did those feet
in ancient times
walk upon england's mountains green
unlikely

 

religion now in cinders
relevant as dinosaur bones
in a secular society without grace

 

 

Writers’ Pantry #35: Change Happens (for the Better, Let’s Hope)

  https://poetsandstorytellersunited.blogspot.com/

 

 


  

11 comments:

  1. Sadly greed kills off most of the beautiful features of a country's traditions unless a profit can be made at your expense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the progression from the' sculpted fingers' to 'religion relevant as dinosaur bones'. It’s not just the statue that is broken. ‘And did those feet…’ is one of my favourite hymns, even though I’m not religious, probably because it reminds me of school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent use of the listed words and the others. I particularly love the dry, well-placed 'unlikely'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "relevant as dinosaur bones
    in a secular society without grace"

    A great close. Sadly it's more than merely religion in irrelevant cinders these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how i enjoyed your words and music.
    Happy Sunday Cressida

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those images are stark and leave an edge embedded in the imagination. The questions persist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully crafted, and those last lines were harsh reality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The world has lost so much. Sometimes I wonder how much more has been forgotten... under the ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Civility is also in cinders and I feel like a dinosaur!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a wonderful response to the word prompt.
    i like how you used the opening lines of Blake's poem in your poem. i love this poem ever since i first hear it from a recording by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it really possible for grace to vanish even though a society becomes secular, ignoring God?

    ReplyDelete