Saturday, 4 July 2020

SUNDAY MUSE # 115 WEEKLY SCRIBBLINGS # 27



berlin 30s cabaret
a sultry singer purring
frag nicht warum ich gehe

in a sea of marcel waves
a tipsy blonde fraulein
sips champagne

look no hands Fritz
he stamps his jackboots
roars with laughter

twas the time
just before starvation
and the bombs

lockdown
was welcome in underground shelters
no one wanted to go
to the pub  the football
or  the hairdresser


<

17 comments:

  1. A cool interpretation of the photo. You took me back to those times. I love watching movies from that era............

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a different time indeed! Love how you captured the image Cressida!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nobody recognizes those last nights even if the dangers are at the table...this caught me right in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was ~ exquisite ... as is your poem. Thank you so much for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, that was good! "look no hands Fritz" - great line, and then the way you bring it all back to the present at the end. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic...A perfect poem for the image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As it was then, so it is now, except the enemy is unseen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh! You just sent me on a whole nostalgia trip there! And the poem is absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeously rendered! I agree, it was a different era altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first thought when I saw the photo was the song "Come to the Cabaret" and you've fleshed out that thought beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd not seen the movie but here I refreshed my German a bit. Eat, drink, and be merry, it won't last long. "He (Hitler) had it coming to him." I'm no sure about our times, we may live in delusion for a long time.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Years pass and we have different values but still remember the simpler times when life was far easier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This took me back to seventies Germany, where I studied Theatre Film and TV at Cologne University, and we all felt guilty at watching old films from the thirties and loving Marlene Dietrich. My foster mother used to tell me stories of the war and how Cologne was almost completely destroyed – except for the cathedral. My English grandparents told me about the Blitz. There wasn’t much difference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Other times were sort of like these times, weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems people had a lot more sense then, especially when it came to having a drink in public and getting their hair done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. foreshadowing, it seems, what goes around... comes around again ~

    ReplyDelete