Saturday, 15 February 2020

Monsoon




monsoon misery memories of mildew
every thing damp never dries out
mould creeping across walls and shoes
continues daily for months

the frogs are deafening
torrential rain like a thousand tool boxes
being emptied on to the iron roof
the geckos invite all their mates indoors
clicking away like a castanet band

the bloated  mosquitoes are transformed
into the size of small birds from gorging themselves
on sweet flesh
the black and white ones carrying dengue fever

the brain becomes water logged
the rainy season seems to never end
and my tropical heart
sometimes  misses it

14 comments:

  1. I couldn't miss that - it must be torturous!
    Your words aren't BTW.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am, like, TOTALLY with you on this one, fer sure. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We seem to be having a rainy season this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the weight and hear the frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at "monsoon misery memories of mildew," such an atmospheric poem 💝

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem settled over me like a dark, wet cape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Partying with the geckos sounds like an oddly good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So well described! As only one who'd experienced it could. (And only another who had could sympathise with that simultaneous shudder and tug of longing.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I so loved this! Such a great piece--you old the reader in place and allow us to feel this all--

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written, wonderful to experience and then remember in more benign climates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a bit of a rainy season here. The frogs get so loud you have to shout to be heard. I know I would miss it so much if I were to move away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, our rainy season is just over, it's sunshine outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You certainly painted a vivid picture that made me think of Hawaii when i visited during their rainy season. Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete