Wednesday, 8 January 2020

Weekly Scribblings

 
Amaryllis  Piet Mondrian

i had forgotten

this painting
and all the warmth that
time in my life represented
the fervour with which
we embraced art and music
books piled high on  bedside tables
walls covered with prints and paintings
the countless exhibitions we attended
lively dinner party conversations
about deep and meaningfuls

now a pall is cast
by the endless chat of superannuation
real estate family and holiday destinations
chalked up to impress

if this is the price for acceptance
if this is the price of success
if this is what is on offer for the twilight years
i'll pass thanks

a plate of fresh scones with a cuppa tea
under the pepper tree in the hot late afternoon
talking to the sleepy lizards will do  me fine.


amaryllis deep somewhat cast warmth fervour bedside scones sleep twilight







11 comments:

  1. This is incredibly poignant. I resonate with the pressure one has to face in society and amongst family and connections in order to be accepted. Thank you so much for adding your voice to the prompt 💝

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a plate of fresh scones with a cuppa tea
    under the pepper tree in the hot late afternoon
    talking to the sleepy lizards will do me fine."

    SOUNDS FINE TO ME TOO. HAPPY NEW YEAR

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem and that last stanza is so beautiful so descriptive that I want to join you there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how passion for life, art, wanes when we don't nurture it. I love your ending. I often commune with wild things to bring me back in balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! Does me fine too. :) Clever use of the word list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How life changes. These days, I still have the books, music and art, but I’d be more than content with ‘a plate of fresh scones with a cuppa tea / under the pepper tree in the hot late afternoon / talking to the sleepy lizards’.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so good to see poets showing their readers what is important in life when the lust for money and fame prevents us from really enjoying today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A huge smile crossed my face as I read the last lines of your poem! What good poetry is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May I join you for some tea under the tree?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful ending on this poem. Life gets in the way of life.

    ReplyDelete