Saturday, 17 August 2019

Sestina



it never ever seems to end
and probably will go on and on
miraculously sometimes granted a day angst free
then the dramas happen all over  again
a flooded bathroom a leaking roof
a dispute with neighbours over plants

peace lilies a misnomer for such lovely plants
cordial  relations with her neighbour will end
he has a jungle of them growing on the roof
cracking the concrete  the gloves are on
more time in litigation once again
one day she hopes to find rest and be free

 the likelihood is she will never be free
sunbathing in bali amongst exotic plants
finding  happiness and peace again
will have to wait till her sorry end
suppose the poor thing can dream on
burnt hopes suffering like a cat on a hot tin roof

pitter patter  raindrops on the roof
plumbers expensive  nothing  for free
drip drip in every room blood pressure rising up and on
thoughts of  the albatross ants and plants
and how the world will one day end
her mind is turning somersaults again

she's never writing a sestina again
it's worse than having a leaking roof
writing a sestina  a form of torture  never ends
far too difficult with not one  verse free
all this fuss over wretched plants
the nightmare just goes on and on

oh well c'est la vie bring it on
got to end this line with the word plants
maybe she'll climb up on the roof
pretend she is superman and be free
nope not considering  that kind of end

right now a baked egg plant mozarella would be nice -remember- turn oven on
writing a sestina pestina is almost at an end woohoo  never again
sing the naf song arms outstretched from the roof top it's finally over ' born free'





The form is quite complex and the poet is held to a number of strict requirements, based on the repetition of six words which follow a given pattern of repetition as the end words of each line.
The sestina contains six stanzas, each with six lines and concludes with a three line envoi. The pattern of the form is as follows:

1. A,B,C,D,E,F
2. F,A,E,B,D,C
3. C,F,D,A,B,E
4. E,C,B,F,A,D
5. D,E,A,C,F,B
6. B,D,F, E,C,A
7. FB, AD, EC. envoi

.

14 comments:

  1. I chuckled a bit at your struggles to keep your Sestina on straight. I also found it quite challenging to write. I enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was challenging and I don't think I'll be writing another one anytime soon(maybe ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a struggle - but one that you conquered so well

    ReplyDelete
  4. she's never writing a sestina again
    it's worse than having a leaking roof
    LOL... I felt just that when attempting the Canzone.. this form seems similar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting...haha i guess you nailed it quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fabulous job with the Sestina form!💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have articulated why I have not yet attempted a sestina. It looks too hard! I enjoyed the angst and the "never again"s. Lol. You did well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done you for taking this on and for including your process in the process. I enjoyed all your winks at the struggle of writing while writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it is, i havent written one in a very long time. Note to self - must get back to sestinas

    Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday today Cressida

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me laugh! The sestinaIs in a formI'm likely to tryIn the near future.Good job though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you’ve written a sestina about everyday dramas! I’ve experienced all three, although not all at once. I enjoyed the line:
    ‘burnt hopes suffering like a cat on a hot tin roof’
    and the envoi made me giggle: eggplant mozzarella is delicious, one of my favourite meals, and don’t think I’ll be writing another sestina either!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sestinas are my nemesis and you've done a great job of putting all the frustrations in that form!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The most important thing is "Were you satisfied with what you wrote in the end?" I suppose you can now say "Good, I'll never have to write one of those again." But I bet you do!

    ReplyDelete