Saturday, 17 June 2017

Seventeen Come Sunday





it does not get more british than this
a musical offering for a nation beset
by disaster of late

the english folk song suite
evokes images of
sticky puddings
spotted dick
toad in the hole
bubble and squeak
peaches and cream complexions
fair hair'd  blue eyed lasses named
millicent and harriet
hooray henrys in bowler hats
with furled umbrellas
stiff upper lips
cricket on the village green
knitted teapot covers and cosy pubs
a world long gone


'seventeen come sunday '
who hums that now
a faded image of the past
only seen in black and white b grade movies
on late night tv for insomniacs

MLMM...The Saturday Mix


11 comments:

  1. We are certainly weathering some storms here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv the tints of Nostalgia

    Happy Sunday Cressida; i enjoyed the music

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see it all, in your descriptive lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to get in touch again with the basics while listening to some uplifting music! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thank you for adding your pen ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Hoe much the world has changed. (I had a great time)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pleasant visit each time I come here. I listen and read in understanding your statement/ poem/ song... geesh, might as well throw in a knitted teapot cover :)
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang on, I grew up all through those years from the forties through to the sixties witnessing the change from subservience to independence. Despite the gains we lost a lot too but we don't realize that with our kids like zombies with iPhones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Erm...that depends on your political stance:)

      Delete