Thursday, 27 April 2017

THE FINAL DAYS

 

 Day 28

A Letter To Shakespeare

it's the first year
i have forgotten to write you
a poem on your birthday



i beseech your forgiveness
for this belated greeting
453 years is a long time to be resting
under the daisies pied and violets blue

we still acknowledge your literary genius
also you are recently  considered to be
the most eminent psychologist of all time
yes i know this news will evoke mirth
of the bursting  pantaloon variety

modern poets write about puke
and the devil's dandruff
you can even win a prize for writing about 
a mewling's scalp smelling like apricots

the world has come adrift since you have passed
the majority of the inhabitants are lunatics
you remember when you said
hell is empty and all the devils are here
well there are a lot more of them now

that second best bed you left your wife
is worth squillions
wherever you are i hope you will leave
a few sonnets under my pillow tonight
i will sell them

Sincerely

Your devoted Cressida




Day 29 

Prompt - 3 word wednesday

pluck shady rebel



 

both are gals with pluck 
both superlative diplomats 
diligent non rebellious
always destined for success 
crashing through  glass ceilings 

historical foes
beaming friendship at each other 
has the lion finally lay down with the lamb 
or is there a shady agenda behind the effusion

sniff sniff
lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds
there is always something rotten
in the state of politics methinks

16 comments:

  1. I can't dispute the fact that we are all lunatics! Never a Shakespeare fan but I love your post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the stanza about the majority of inhabitants being lunatics, and there being more devils than ever now. So true. Smiled all the way through your poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come"

      Delete
  3. Stunned by the number of Shakespearean words and/or phrases that permeate our language today. He'd be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would sell Shakespeare's sonnets, if he left some under your pillow? What would the Bard think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am grinning like an idiot right now after reading this gorgeous piece ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. " jesters do oft prove prophets" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha I just couldn't stop smiling. I think you woke the bastard up! :)
    These were excellent.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember Day 28, this made me smile

    "the world has come adrift since you have passed
    the majority of the inhabitants are lunatics
    you remember when you said
    hell is empty and all the devils are here
    well there are a lot more of them now"

    Have a good week. Happy you dropped by my Sunday Standard today

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I adore your birthday letter to Shakespeare – particularly the oh-so-romantic conclusion turning oh-so-pragmatic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A contrast in thoughts. I appreciate the journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the devils are always in good supply. The bard has always had so many nay sayers that I would forgive him anything. This is a stunningly beautiful (late) birthday tribute to him.

    ReplyDelete