Wednesday, 17 December 2014

Cicero and Christmas




more than 2000 years ago
little has changed
in politics or human nature


meanwhile
i will tuck into a crusty baguette
with fresh mortadella 
put my feet up
turn the phone off
watch 'Breaking Bad'
a small glass of valpolicella in hand
and chill out
..la vita e bella

sorry Cicero
there is a place for bread and circuses
proving a great distraction
to what has been a stressful week

just a plebian poetic thought
from a woman who  is not a vestal virgin

no point in wishing you
A Merry Christmas
you died 50 years
before He was born.











10 comments:

  1. Nothing beats winding down with bread and wind and watching your fav movie or tv set ~ I wish you a Merry Christmas and enjoy that Breaking Bad series ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true...though centuries have passed and many things have changed, human nature stays the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what you would write here, and I wasn't disappointed. Regarding the Cicero quote, it reminds me of Jacob and Easu - selling our birthright for a bowl of porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a novel take on bread and circuses! Bless you, that made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha.. we have our bread and circuses today as well.. but what bliss it is to sit down and wind down with them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an unexpected take on this prompt! I loved the images that your created

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool approach, Cressida...glad you shared this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No judgement here. We could all use some bread and a good circus right about now. Merry Christmas and whatnot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cressida, what a novel approach and one that sounds like an absolutely lovely way to wind down of an evening, although I'd probably prefer to read. :-)

    Merry Christmas!

    janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. a nice valpo sounds good about now... ~

    ReplyDelete