
dverse
mid week motif..poets united
your voice and laughter
still echo through this room
memories of weekends
great food conversation and music
at your beach house
sheer magic lost - gone
those weekends saved my life
gave me more hope than any Church
and like everything else that i have loved
it is always taken from me
this is the place where i was most happy
we have not long to love
light does not stay
the tender moments are those
we fold away
Tennesee Williams
What sadness in those words.. not even a place like that remaining... sometimes those place of hope are so much needed...
ReplyDeleteheartfelt write...ugh...yeah, those people and those places that one time meant so much to us...and who we became...felt piece cressida
ReplyDeleteyes... sadness, but so sweet the memories... we all long for the place where love abounds... nice
ReplyDeleteI can hear nostalgia for that music and laughter in your words. How sad that this place only lives in your memories!
ReplyDeleteI feel the sadness - and the power of a beautiful place in our lives - the word halcyon, comes to mind - and the hope that new beauty and love await - bw
ReplyDeleteI hope the hope it gave you survives - even now - heartbreaking to lose such a beloved place. K
ReplyDeleteRuth died suddenly in June 2012.
ReplyDeleteThis is so poignant. That room looks so bright and welcoming and comfortable, and the times you remember sound wonderful. I resonate with like everything else you loved being taken away from you....Me, too - but it is good we had them when we did.
ReplyDeleteI just saw in the comment that your dear friend died suddenly in 2012. I am so sorry - the hilarity in the photo - it looks like that was a place of laughter......
ReplyDeletetruly...light does not stay....heartfelt words Cressida...
ReplyDeleteThe pictures you share convey a small bit of the warm and rich spirit of this dear friend. I am glad you can write of her and her gift.
ReplyDeleteIm sure this poem was another way of saying 'goodbye"
Your poem brought tears to my eyes, and just for an instant I imagined that I heard Leonard Cohen singing the words of that Tennessee Williams' poem. I trust that the effects of this beautiful friendship linger. They surely birthed this poem.
ReplyDeleteSo heartfelt and heartbreaking...I focus on this central line: "those weekends saved my life"
ReplyDeleteMore hope than any church..such a powerful feeling and thought..something really treasured and sadly gone..but always remembered.. an intimate poem yet so much to relate to
ReplyDeleteI can feel the sadness in this poem, the nostalgia for all the good that no longer is. I am very sorry about the loss of your good friend.
ReplyDelete"Your voice and laughter still echo in this room." I can relate...the time when my brother moved away to college. That was how I felt. Bravo!
ReplyDeleteThere is so much light in some memories of special times with special friends and family. Like a sparkle from the past.
ReplyDeleteMemories can bring joy but, sometimes darkness creeps in and steals a small
ReplyDeletepiece of our light..this was heartfelt..
Memories tinged (or sometimes, totally overwhelmed) by sadness are so better-sweet. On the one hand, we wouldn't be without them, on the other, we wish the lost were still with us. Loss of a loved one is like nothing else, is it?I wish you all the very best. You described your feelings so heartbreakingly well.
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone for these lovely comments.
ReplyDelete