Monday, 24 March 2014

Triolet

Triolet----ABaAabAB






How great my grief,my joys how few
But when they come they are delight
He seems to know this right on cue
How great my grief, my joys how few
Shoots a sharp arrow ripped right through
To wound, cruel viper out of spite
How great my grief, my joys are few
But when they come they are delight

Must remember to hide my joy
Hide it, keep it secret from you
For fear you will again destroy
Must remember to hide my joy
One day I will be free from ploys
For now this hardship must endure
Must remember to hide my joy
Hide it, keep it secret from you

9 comments:

  1. the speaker's plight is poignant in the second stanza....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, this is excellent. Sad though to have to hide one's joys, but I can think of situations in which this is the wisest way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To have to conceal what your heart is feeling...how dreadful and heartbreaking. I agree with Mary - sometimes we have no choice but to guard who we really are from those who seek only to tear us down. I loved these, Cressida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oy, not much fun to feel you have to hide away those joys and not share them for fear they will quelch them...nice use of for in this as it builds it nicely cressida

    ReplyDelete
  5. The triolet form works wonderfully in relaying this message. An intriguing form. I have not tried it yet but I love the rhythm, flow and repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The poem full of charm, these repeating lines just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a triolet is a delight to read out aloud. your work certainly did. :)

    ReplyDelete